fbpx

MEN’S HEALTH WEEK 2022

By Glossy Magazine

men

MEN’S HEALTH WEEK 2022

men

Did you know that 13th–19th June is Men’s Health Week? Urology Clinics Manchester has taken some time to speak to us and give us their best advice around men’s health topics…

What is ED?

ED stands for erectile dysfunction. This is when someone has problems maintaining an erection. It occurs in half of men aged between 40 and 60 years of age. The predominant causes of ED are diseases that affect blood vessels. Blood vessel damage can occur in smokers, people with high blood pressure or heart disease, diabetics and those with high cholesterol. The small blood vessels in the penis can be damaged, leading to erectile problems. In some cases, ED may be the warning sign that other blood vessels in the body are at the early stages of damage, such as the blood vessels of the heart, which can then lead to heart attacks.

What can I expect with ED?

In most cases, if you do not make efforts to improve your health, it is likely to worsen. You should consider having testosterone, cholesterol, diabetes and prostate (PSA) blood tests, in addition to a general health check.

What are the treatment options for ED?

In most cases, ED can be treated with tablets, such as Viagra and Cialis, but it is important to make lifestyle changes: stop smoking; eat five portions of fruits and vegetables a day; exercise three times a week; and drink less alcohol. Other treatments include injections, vacuum pumps, topical liquids and penile prosthesis. ED1000 is a newer treatment, it helps new blood vessels grow into the penis. In large trials across Europe and North America, ED1000 has been shown to help two in three men get better erections with tablets, where the tablets may have stopped working as well as compared to previously.

What is Peyronie’s disease?

Peyronie’s disease is a condition that causes the formation of a fibrous scar in the penis (or plaque). The plaque can lead to a curve or narrowing in the penis, pain on erection, reduction in the quality of erections and loss of length and girth. In severe cases, this can make sex difficult, if not impossible, which can have a profound effect on the quality of life of men and their partners. Approximately one in 11 men will develop Peyronie’s disease, although the number is likely higher, as many maybe too embarrassed to seek help f rom their doctor.

What can I expect with Peyronie’s disease?

Peyronie’s disease has two ‘phases – acute and chronic. The acute phase can be viewed as the active part of the disease process. Patients often develop pain on erection and notice a change in their penile shape. This can last up to 18 months, at which point, it ‘burns itself out’ and patients enter the chronic or stable phase. When a patient presents with active disease, the chance of spontaneous improvement is approximately 20 percent, the chance of staying the same is 40 percent and the chance of further progression is 40 percent.

What are the treatment options for Peyronie’s disease?

The treatment options depend on the phase the patient is in, the severity of the deformity and quality of erections. Many patients find that addressing the strength of their erections, along with advice and reassurance, is enough. Men that experience pain on erection can find that simple anti- inflammatories can help. In the chronic phase with deformities that prevent sexual intercourse, options can include regular use of a vacuum pump device or surgery.

 

What type of surgery is available?

Patients with bent erections who have been stable for more than six months and are unable to have sex with their partner may undergo penile-straightening surgery. The exact method of straightening the penis is determined by the site and severity of the curvature as well as whether they have strong erections. There are essentially three types of operation:

1. Making the side opposite the plaque shorter (known as a Nesbit’s procedure or plication procedure)

2. Making the side of the penis with the plaque longer by inserting a graft (Lue procedure or grafting procedures)

3. Inserting an inflatable penile prosthesis.

What is a circumcision?

A circumcision is an operation to remove the foreskin, leaving the head (or glans) of the penis exposed. The foreskin is the retractable fold of skin that covers the end of the penis.

Why should I have a circumcision?

There are several reasons patients should consider having a circumcision. These include:

  • If the foreskin has become tight and is making it difficult or impossible to pull back and wash or is painful on erection. Known as phimosis

  • If you are getting recurrent infections known as balanitis

  • If you have skin disease on the foreskin or head of the penis caused by

    inflammation or warts

  • For pre-cancerous or cancerous cells of the foreskin

What are the benefits of having a circumcision?

Having a circumcision should mean that you are able to clean around the head of the penis, reducing the risk of infection. It may resolve pain experienced by a tight foreskin or inflammation.

Find out more at urologyclinics.co.uk Contact Urology Clinics Manchester

Call 0161 327 1269 or email [email protected]

This information does not replace a doctor’s opinion and if you suffer any of these problems, always see your GP.

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn

Follow Us Social Media

Most Popular

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter

Competitions, latest news, and product of the week.

Categories